FAQs About Canadian Visa Types and Applying to Live in Canada - Brazolot Migration Group

FAQs About Canadian Visa Types and Applying to Live in Canada

(Please click question to expand)

How does a qualified person apply to live and work in Canada?

Canada uses a points system to assess candidates who want to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada. A candidate must obtain at least 67 points to qualify as a Skilled Worker (as of September 2003) and have at least one year of skilled work experience in one of the 24 high-demand occupations (as of May 2013).

Applicants for Permanent Residence can apply under the following Categories:

Family Category: For those with close family ties to Canada

Canadian Experience Class: For those with recent work experience in Canada.

Skilled Worker Category: For qualified professionals

Skilled Trades Category: For qualified trades people

Business Category: For entrepreneurs and self-employed applicants

Humanitarian Category: For those with unique and compassionate circumstances

In addition there are a number of temporary (work, study & visit) visa classes.

Will having family in Canada help me to immigrate?

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) sets out strict criteria that you have to meet to qualify for immigration. Family sponsorship can assist you in making an application, but in many cases it is not the only relevant issue. Canada has many different types of visa classes. The Skilled Worker category operates on a points system and having a close family member in Canada is just one of the factors that points are awarded for. There are also Family Class visa options where the relationship will be the deciding factor. For example, if you have a Canadian spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, child or parent who is able to sponsor you, then there is potential for you to apply for immigration based on your relationship with your Canadian family member. It is important that you confirm your position before making an application.

I’ve heard about the points system. How does that work and how many points can I score?

If you are looking to relocate permanently to Canada, you may be able to achieve enough points to qualify under the Skilled Worker category. This operates on a points system and an occupations list. Factors such as age, qualifications, work experience and language skills will be assessed. The criteria is complex and constantly under review. Consequently, it is important to make sure you have the most up-to-date information. The Brazolot Migration Group (B.M.G.) Evaluation Worksheet will enable you to find out whether you have the potential to meet the current criteria.

Is there an age limit for applying for immigration?

There are no maximum age limits set, however, age can be a factor under some application categories. There is no retirement category.

If I apply to Canada, what is the status of my spouse / common-law partner? Who should apply?

The person who best meets the immigration criteria should be the principal applicant. If you successful in obtaining permanent residence your spouse or common-law partner will have exactly the same rights and obligations as you do. For example, they may take up employment and have access to the healthcare system, etc.

How do I know if my qualifications are acceptable in Canada?

B.M.G. can assist you in obtaining an Educational Credential Assessment with the relevant authority in Canada. A preliminary evaluation by B.M.G. will let you know if it is worth applying for an Educational Credential Assessment and ultimately immigration.

I don’t achieve enough points to qualify under the Skills Category, but I run my own business.

If you have an idea for a new business venture and wish to start a new business in Canada you may be able to apply for investment for your business proposal through a designated Canadian venture capital fund or angel investor group. Alternatively, you could apply to be accepted onto a Canadian business incubator program. With a strong business proposal you could apply for permanent residency in Canada.

There may also be opportunities under the provincial immigration programs to establish a business in Canada. Contact our business unit for further information.

So what happens at our meeting with B.M.G.?

Our consultants will take you step-by-step through the following process:

Step 1: Consultation with B.M.G.

Approx. 1 h – 1½ hours

The meeting will provide you with a thorough understanding of exactly what your next move should be. You will be able to determine your best option and you will have the opportunity to ask all your questions about the immigration process, career prospects and about Canada. After this meeting, you can make an informed decision on what you wish to do. You may then choose to STOP (with no further obligation) or you may choose to START. For those that wish to start they then proceed to  2.

Step 2: Retain the services of Brazolot Migration:Your New Journey starts here!

Step 3: Document gathering:Professionally co-ordinated by B.M.G.

Step 4: Canada Fact-Finding/Job search trip*:If applicable … See below

Step 5: Await visa to be issued:From 10 weeks to 24 months**

Step 6: Move to Canada:Receive relocation assistance

Step 7: Apply for Canadian citizenship (if applicable):After 3 years as a Permanent Resident

Step 8: Apply for Canadian passport (if applicable):After citizenship has been granted

* It is highly advisable to go to Canada on at least one fact-finding trip to gather information to help you in your relocation. This trip can also be used to sit any licensing exams (if applicable), meet with future employers and attend job interviews.

** From 10 weeks for temporary permits and up to 24 months for permanent visas.

A sample itinerary of a Diesel Mechanic coming on a fact-finding trip is as follows:

Day 1 – Fly to Canada

Day 2 –  Assessment by the Trade Registration Board (if applicable)

Day 3 –  Explore and rest. Study for licensing exam (if applicable)

Day 4 –  Job Interview

Day 5 –  Job Interview

Day 6 –  Sit exam (if applicable)

Day 7 – Fly back to home country

This itinerary is an example only and will vary from person to person

Your Report says I have ‘ X ’ points

If you received 67+ points, well done! However, this is only a conditional pass, subject to a further review. At the consultation, we will complete the full assessment to establish that you are admissible to Canada.

If you did not achieve 67+ points, there may still be opportunities for you to migrate.

Website provided by ICBIG.com | Copyright Claims